What could be more beautiful than seeing your own handmade ornaments hanging on the tree? Salt dough ornaments are so fun and easy to make and can be made using ingredients you’ll likely have around the home!
You will need –
4 cups of Plain Flour
1 cup of salt
1.5 cups of warm water
Ribbon to hang the decorations
A skewer to poke holes for the ribbon
A large bowl
Cookie cutters if you want to make special shapes
Decorations such as paint, glitter, glue etc.
(While not necessary, polyurethane spray can also be used to ensure ornaments last for a long time)
Let’s get making!
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees.
2. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl, slowly adding in the water, stirring thoroughly as you go.
3. Once combined, knead the dough with your hands until it becomes soft, this should take around 5 minutes.
4. On a piece of baking paper, use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to around 4mm thick.
5. Use your hands or cookie cutters to create your ornament shapes, removing the excess dough as you go.
6. Poke a hole in the top of each ornament. Make sure the hole is wide enough the whole way through.
7. Bake your ornaments in the oven for an hour. You will know they are ready when they have set hard.
8. Wait for your ornaments to cool and then get creative decorating them!
9. Finish them off with a spray of polyurethane if you like and by attaching a ribbon for them to hang from.
Show us all of your beautiful salt dough ornaments by posting a photo on social media and using our hashtag #littlemessylearners
Merry Christmas Crafting to you all!