Just like any kind of cooking play dough can sometimes be hard to get right! Follow this easy recipe and helpful tips to make your own perfect play dough!
Play dough is one of the best products for developing fine and gross motor skills! Your child can pinch, pull, knead, cut, squash and all the other wonderful things they do to help build those all important pre-writing muscles!
You don’t need to go out and buy lot’s of cutters and rolling pins! Practice making peas, snails, hand prints etc.
Play dough is so awesome for pretend play, try it and see where your child’s imagination can lead!
Here is what you need
- 2 heaped cups plain flour
- 3 Teaspoons Cream of Tartar (found in the baking section of the supermarket)
- 1/2 cup of table salt (very important that you use table salt not cooking salt!)
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 4 dessert spoons of oil
- Food colouring (optional)
What you need to do
- In your bowl mix all the dry ingredients with your spoon
- In your jug mix together all the wet ingredients
- Add the wet mixture into your bowl and mix well
- When it has mostly come together tip out onto your surface and knead well until smooth (becareful it may be hot!)
- Allow to cool before letting your children play
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks
- Canola oil works best, but any oil will do!
- Don’t miss out the Cream of Tartar it won’t be as smooth
- Don’t be tempted to add more flour or water until you have mixed it and given it a good knead!
- Always use table salt! Cooking salt will not dissolve and the play dough may be gritty