Because Perth and Peel in WA were in lockdown today, I held a mini mark maker Mondays session at home! Take a look below so you can create the activities at home!
A play dough rainbow!
Play dough is one of my most favourite things to make for my girls and in class. It’s probably one of the best activities for developing hand, finger and wrist strength in children. It’s also really versitile; we use ours to make everything from rainbows to icy poles to dice for games!
Today we used our play dough to make rainbow patterns, using balls and strips of play dough. You can download the rainbow template below, or you can draw your own at home.
How to make your own play dough
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 3 teaspoons cream if tartar
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 table spoons oil
- 2 cups of boiling water
- Food colouring (optional)
- Mix the flour, cream of tartar and salt in a bowl
- In a jug, mix the oil, water and food colouring
- Pour the liquid into the flour and mix really well.
- It might seems sticky at first but give it a chance to combine.
- Tip out onto a work surface or chopping board and knead until smooth.
- If your dough is a bit sticky, simply add in some flour as your are kneading it until you get the consistancy you want.
HINT: Always use table salt not cooking salt.
CAUTION: becareful not to burn yourself on the boiling water and the dough, let it cool before kneading if you need to.
This is so much fun to play with and taste safe!
- All you need is the liquid from a tin of chickpeas, lentils, kidney beans or mixed beans.
- Drain off the liquid into a bowl
- Add 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- Add 2 drops of food colouring
- Whisk on a high speed until the foam becomes stiff
HINT: You can keep whisking the foam if it goes flat and watery.
CAUTION: Throw the foam away after play time.
Paper plate rainbow
This is a great one for your pre-kindy age and upwards kids.
What you need
- A paper plate cut into the shape of a rainbow
- Cotton wool balls
How to make it
- Ask them to colour a rainbow on the plate
- Use the glue to stick the cotton wool balls onto the bottom to make the clouds