Here is our recipe for the 5 Minute Microwave Play Dough that we use at Little Learners Gateshead West. It is possibly the easiest and best recipe going (and I have tried quite a few).
What you will needs for Little Learners 5 Minute Microwave Play Dough:
- 250g Flour
- 125g Salt
- 2 Tbsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 Tbsp Oil (I use vegetable oil)
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- Colouring and essence (optional)
- Add all the ingredients into a large microwavable bowl. Add required amount of food colouring and essence athis point
- Mix together until you have an even mixture.
- Put the mixture into the microwave for 2 minutes. Be careful when taking out of microwave. The mixture will have thickened/cooked on the outside of the bowl. You need to pull the mixture in from the outside into the middle, making sure you scrape the bottom of the bowl too. Once pulled in and stirred, this needs to go back in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave, repeat again pulling the dough from the sides and bottom of the bowl. The mixture is a lot thicker now and almost a complete dough, put the mixture back in for 1 minute.
- You should now have a dough. There should be no wet mixture still in the bowl (If there is mix it around 1 last time and put back into the microwave for 30 seconds or until the wet mixture is all gone).
- Once the dough has cooled a little, gather together and put out onto a slightly floured surface.
- Knead the dough until you get your desired texture … soft and silky smooth.
Your play dough is now made and all ready for your Little Learner to mould, cut, roll and work on their fine motor skills. You can also add knead in glitter to make some special dough or even make lots of different colours. To keep it fresh you can store in an airtight container and put it into the fridge.
Enjoy, Antonia x